Saturday 18 September 2010

The Happiness of the Katakuris

I first saw The Happiness of the Katakuris at Frightfest in London, back in 2002. It's fair to say I wasn't quite so gobsmacked on this viewing, but that's mainly because I knew what to expect the second time around. I was still grinning like a fool for the duration of this feel-good surrealist horror musical pastiche - a berth it doesn't share with too many other bedfellows.

It takes a lot for me to enjoy a musical of any kind. I hate musicals with a passion, but here it just works. It's full of imaginative whimsy and distinctively Miikean touches (with a nod to Jan Svankmajer) - like the opening sequence with the small fellow being forked out of a bowl of soup and stealing the diner's uvula - inspired! In a nutshell, Katakuris is about a family's quest to find happiness in their new life together and the struggle to attract guests to their idyllic, but remote guesthouse in the lea of a volcano. The few guests who do manage to find the place are invariably dysfunctional and have a hard time making it through the night.

This is a slight film for Miike, a comedy farce essentially, but a uniquely enjoyable one nonetheless. He also hits on an ingenious way to save money on expensive special effects - cut to clay!

カタクリ家の幸福
Dir. Takashi Miike, 2001

5 comments:

  1. Really? Singing in the Rain? High Society? South Park: Bigger Longer and Uncut? Mary Poppins?

    I don't believe it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well OK, South Park maybe. But even the musical bits in Family Guy really grind my gears.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I lent my copy to my former Japanese teacher Rie. She still has it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Dan. Good to hear from ya. Still learning Japanese? I stopped a few years ago myself but still harbour vague notions of picking it up again some time...

    ReplyDelete